Morton House Museum
501 Territorial Rd. , Benton Harbor, 49022 (directions)
Henry C. Morton and his family built the Morton House in 1849 in Benton Harbor, Michigan. Henry C. Morton was one of the founders of the city of Benton Harbor. The family continued to be well known in the city and involved with its growth and prosperity. In 1874 J.S. Morton, son of Henry Morton, helped facilitate the area’s steamboat industry, owning many vessels that ran from Benton Harbor to Chicago and back. The Mortons were also known as large real estate holders in the area. J.S. Morton also held many different local official posts in the area.
The Morton family continued to live in the house until J.S. Morton’s death in 1936. After his death Morton left the house to the city’s Federation of Clubs. It was J.S. Morton’s aspiration that the Morton Homestead would be used for educative and community activities of all kinds. The Morton House survives today as a museum whose mission is to support and be involved with local community activities and to educate visitors on the founding and history of the city of Benton Harbor, Michigan.
Please call with questions on tours and visiting hours. 269 876 7692