The Benton Harbor Public Library has provided library service to our community for over one hundred years.
The library was legally established for use by city residents in 1899. The first building, funded by the Carnegie Foundation, was opened in 1903. Service to Benton Charter Township residents was first offered in 1963. The current library building was opened in April 1968 as a state of the art facility.
Today, the library serves over 20,000 residents of the City of Benton Harbor and Benton Charter Township. The library offers access to over 100,000 books, DVDs, periodicals, and other items through our online catalog. We have an award-winning collection of federal documents available in both print and electronic formats. Computers for public internet access are located in both the Adult and Junior Departments. The library also offers numerous educational programs aimed at children and teenagers. Information about the library, as well as our full online catalog of items, is available 24/7 from anywhere via the BHPL Website
The members of the Benton Harbor Public Library Board of Trustees have initiated an effort to bring the library into the twenty-first century. A major part of that project will include a complete renovation of the library's home for forty years.
We invite the Citizens of our area to imagine what the future of our library could be. Please work with us as we translate the imagination of today into the reality of tomorrow.
Sign up for our E-newsletters and get the latest happening in St. Joe!